The Changing Face of the Greater Anglia Route

(C) D.Dowling

The idea of a ‘Railway’, some people say, dates back to the 6th Century in Ancient Greece, whether this is true or not I will leave to historians. Like other parts of society the railways are constantly evolving and today’s review focuses on the lines out of London’s Liverpool Street to Essex, Hertfordshire and further afield in to East Anglia in 2020.

The Great Eastern Mainline over the years has had selection of owners provide a service such as Abellio Greater Anglia who currently provide a service. Abellio makes up 60% of the business and ‘Mitsui & Co making up the remaining 40%. Both companies are based outside the United Kingdom.

(C) Richard Hall

2020 saw the departure of locomotive hauled stock; a concept that could soon be confined to the history books. The arrival of new Multiple Units stock, Class 745 and Class 755, Fast Light Intercity and Regional Train (FLIRT). These trains in the form of Multiple units bring a different feel to train travel. They were built by Stadler Rail in Switzerland.

(C) D.Dowling

The stock before the Multiple Units were designed and built in Britain by British Railway Engineering Limited. You can still see BREL built stock in the country. A selection of this stock, the Class 317 and Class 321, still run on the Greater Anglia network. The life expectancy of BREL built trains is unknown as some stock has started to be withdrawn.

We look forward to seeing what Greater Anglia will provide for its customers in the near future.

11 Shares:
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like